Carrier Registration - USDOT STB/FMC Licensed Transportation Practitioners
USDOT Numbers 
Commercial Motor Vehicles ("CMVs") over 10,000 lbs are regulated by the United States Department of Transportation with respect to interstate transportation... 

... and may be regulated by your state insofar as intrastate operations are concerned.  You may register online through this website or by calling us at (800) 319-5937. We are a private, third-party provider offering services for a fee. This is a commercial solicitation and advertisement. Registration Services is NOT affiliated with any government authority. 

1. What is a USDOT Number?  
USDOT Numbers are used by the USDOT to monitor a company or independent owner-operator's safety management practices and controls. They serve as unique identifiers when the USDOT collects data and reviews a company's compliance during safety audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and roadside inspections. This is not "Operating Authority" (MC Number).
2. Who needs a USDOT Number? 
1. Companies that operate commercial motor vehicles that transport passengers or haul cargo across state lines must be registered with the USDOT and must have and display an "Interstate USDOT Number" on their vehicles.
2. Companies operating within PRISM states (as of 2008, all states except Maryland, Michigan & Nevada) must have an "Intrastate USDOT Number" unless they have secured state-issued operating authority.
3. Companies that transport hazardous materials within their state, in quantities requiring a safety permit, must also register for a USDOT Number.
4. In select states (see states listed below*), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-motor carrier registrants, are required to obtain a "Registrant USDOT Number" as a necessary condition for IRP (International Registration Plan) commercial vehicle registration for owner-operators leased on to the authority of a carrier. This program will expire in September 2011 because too many carriers have incorrectly registered as non-carrier registrants. Currently, this is the only way owner-operators can get/renew their plates for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.
*Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Companies operating exclusively as property ("freight") brokers or and freight forwarders do not need to obtain a USDOT Number. Brokers arranging for transportation across state lines must obtain a property and/or household goods broker license evidenced by an MC Number. Freight forwarders must obtain authority and are issued FF Numbers. Non-hazmat shippers do not need a regulatory number. 
You may secure a USDOT Number online through this website. Click the link below to start the application process:
4. What happens after I get a USDOT Number?
1. You will be enrolled in the New Entrant Program. Effective January 1, 2003, all first-time carrier applicants for a USDOT Number are automatically enrolled in the USDOT's New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. This program requires new entrants to pass a safety audit within 90 days and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month probationary period before they are given permanent registration status.
2. If you transport regulated property for-hire (including in vehicles under $10,000 lbs such as cargo vans), you are required to
3. You will need to comply with IFTA & IRP if you operate vehicles over 26,000 lbs. You may also need HUT, KYU and permits from NM and/or OR.
4. You will need a SCAC Code if you operate internationally or receive EDI payments from government and other shippers. Click Here to be directed to the SCAC Code Online Application to get or renew a SCAC code for your company. 
6. You will need to submit a Biennial Report every 24 months. Click Here to be directed to the MCS-150 update page.